Monday 19 December 2016

My thoughts on Version 4.

As you will know by now, Battlefront are ready to launch version 4 of the Flames of War rules in March 2017. If you haven't, surprise! If you want to catch up read my summaries of interviews with Peter from Battlefront here and here.

I haven't seen a new version or been exposed to any information that isn't available on Battlefront's page or in the interviews conducted by WWPD. This is my personal view from a long term FOW tragic.

Flames of War v4 banner from www.flamesofwar.com 

Want I want to do in this post is share my thoughts on the new version. I understand there are different opinions and have held off posting much of anything about what I think until I had a chance to digest the information I have seen.

Firstly, I look forward to a new version of the rules. In my experience, each time there is a new version of a rule set published, there is new wave of enthusiasm from new games and often crusty old veterans too. New rules spark articles, figures, reviews, tournaments and generally draw more attention. I think this is good. New players and new armies are always welcome in my book. I saw this in the FOW v2 to v3 changes plus in many other rule sets I have played.



Desert Brits from the EW GT.
In this instance, the change is free. That's right, Battlefront are providing free copies of the rules. How can you resist at least picking up a copy and having a read. I challenge anyone to not pick up free rules. I will certainly be picking up my copy and having a read.

The new slimmer rule book will be less of a barrier to entry. That's right, the rules will be shorter. This has to make the game easier to read and learn. Whether you are a new or old gamer, there is less to read and absorb and more time to be spent on playing the new game.

BF desert terrain.

I love that BF are starting with Mid War and the desert. Mid War is my favorite period and the desert is my favorite theater. This is a great opportunity for a new injection of figures, terrain and accessories for this forgotten period. I understand there will be new terrain and most importantly new tanks. New plastic models will be great.

Finally and most importantly, I am looking forward to seeing what new ideas Battlefront have. I liked both version 2 and 3 but I though version 3 was better. I hope and expect version 4 will be better again. From listening to pod casts, there will be new missions and a great deal of simplification. I think this is much needed to keep the game fresh and keep people interested.

In summary, bring on version 4. I cannot wait.






1 comment:

  1. Agree with you 100%! I am very excited for the NEW version

    ~K

    ReplyDelete